Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Big News!

The demolition date is set for next Monday & Tuesday, so the race is now on to get the rock off the house first. My dad has a nifty air-powered chisel and a compressor, and he's been spending hours and hours up there breaking out mortar. Then my mom hauls the rock back to what used to be her garden, so that it can be used later on the new house.

Hey, news reporters? I think that label "elderly couple" was very inappropriately applied. I bet none of them would be up to that kind of work every day!

This past Monday, for Pioneer Day, Benjamin & his family came up and spent the afternoon helping take off the rock from a big section in back. They brought lunch for everyone there, and even the kids worked hard!

My parents have asked the rest of the family to come help as much as possible. If anyone else has some time that they can come help out, that might be good. I don't think they need a lot of people, just a couple of people at a time to help trade-off doing the chiseling and hauling the rocks back to their stacks. I'll be up there tomorrow, I think. Give my parents a call (or call me for their number) if you have an hour or two and want to help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay an update! Several! Three for the price of one, and I suppose it has been too long since I checked.

I was wondering what "rock off the foundation" meant, but I read more and understood. Wow, that must be hot, back-breaking work! (Is it wrong to say I'm glad I don't live closer so I can't help? :P )

In the demolition phase they're just going to scoop it all into dumptrucks and haul it all away, right? Aw that will be hard to watch. I'll hope and pray it is cathartic once it's done and the lot is cleared, ready for a new house.

Any chance ya'll will be back in before the school year starts?

Lillian said...

alyson l said:
Any chance ya'll will be back in before the school year starts?

No chance at all. In fact, we will be lucky if the house is finished by the anniversary date of May 2nd, next year. The insurance pays for a year of housing, but it would take a lot to meet even that deadline. We're still hoping to be that lucky, but won't be surprised if we're still here next summer.