Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Day 8

Salvaging
One week down, and I think we're starting to feel like we know which direction we're going now. My poor dad has had it the worst because he lost the most "stuff." My mom is still sad over some things, but she's starting to get past that, too, I think. Today she poked around and started collecting little things to put into a shadow box and create a little memento of the adventure. I'm going to have to go dig around and find a charred Yu-Gi-Oh card now!

Moving?
I think we have found a house to rent! We should be in it soon, if our hard-working new friend Cherylea (with the insurance people) was able to secure the lease for us. I'll have more details later. Hooray! Hooray!

A Delivery
The Fed-Ex delivery man had a package for me today - something I had on backorder from weeks ago - and he actually stopped to talk for a minute. I think that was the longest conversation I've ever had with a delivery person like that! It was kind of cool to chat for a minute instead of having him just race away. This has made me realize more than ever that we all need to slow down a bit and take more time for meaningful interaction with other people. After all, not much else really matters, does it?

Kids & School
My children have adopted two of our neighbors as second families. That old Nintendo has probably not seen this much play in years! And Dori T. has a new daughter, I think. The kids aren't bored quite yet. We'll be able to get them back into some of their usual school work within the week, I think. Year-round homeschool is turning out to be even more convenient than I ever thought it was! I just hope we're not cramped into that little house too much, so that we don't drive my parents insane.

Computers
Thank you to all the many people who have offered to help us get new computers! I have my favorite crack computer geek on the task writing up what components we should use, and hopefully we'll be able to get that all set up again vey soon. It is absolutely amazing how dependent we are on our computers.

Thank you!
My brother's wife, Jennifer, says that my friends from wikiHow sent a gift card. Wow! I can hardly believe how kind everyone has been and how much we have been given. It is incredibly humbling to think that so many people care and are willing to give of their time, money, and belongings for our family. My sweet friend Alyson - who has 7 kids and is homeschooling and I know does not have anything to spare - also sent a gift card. That one was the toughest to accept so far. I'm still not very good at being on the receiving end of so much generosity, and can only hope to be able to do more for others in the future.

Responding to Email
I've been a slacker about responding to email, but I promise to get back to everyone who has written! I read it all and it is wonderful to know that so many people care!

Updated List of Things We Need
Ha! Would you believe I deleted this before I copied it over? I'll write up a new one tonight. We have received so much. What more could we possibly need, anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lillian,
I think you can look at yourself and realize that is why people are so willing to share. You have been so willing to give of yourself in the past. Now others just want to give back. You are an amazing woman keep up the good work. ( I am sorry the computer was a bust hopefully you can get one that will work better ) See you at belly dancing.
heidi

Anonymous said...

*almost bursts into tears* I'm glad it got there, and I wish I could do more!

I'm so glad to have these updates and to be able to keep track of you this way.