Friday, May 12, 2006

Days 9 & 10

Missed another day in there, didn't I?

Day 10
11:00 p.m.
Yeah, that time is correct. Poor Jen & Lyman. They may never get to bed on time again.

In that light, here's a quick update: Somehow the order for a bed for my parents did not quite get communicated correctly, so we're back at the hotel for another night. The guys who moved-in the rest of the furniture today were obviously very good at what they do. I've moved a lot of times, but never with anything remotely close to that skill or efficiency. Still, I'd like to hope for not too many more occasions to work on that particular skill.

Drew took 6th overall at her meet. Woohoo! Go Drew!

11:30 a.m.
We're working on getting the utilities set up at the new place. We may be able to get it all done this afternoon and not have to spend another night at the hotel. I think this means I have to start cleaning my own bathroom again...

Apparently a looter finally managed to get past our security last night, but I don't think there was too much left in there that was valuable to anyone but us.

Tonight is a gymnastics meet for Drew. Life certainly goes on - faster than you'd think! I have to say thank you to Cindy K. for letting Drew use her daughter's competition leotard. That was the one gym thing that we lost. Also, many many thanks to all the wonderful people at the gym who have donated clothes and other things to our family. I have to laugh because Drew now has a leotard collection to rival Shireen K.!

Day 9
We were able to secure the little house on Browning Ave, so it looks like we'll be moving in there in the next day or so! Yay!

Thank you to the Soulliers and Wilma M. for delicious dinners! Thank you also to my sister Sylvia and to Kathryn L. for washing and rewashing loads and loads of laundry. My kids were especially happy to have some of their "own" clothes back. I think it's comforting to have something familiar like that.

More thank yous to all the wonderful families in the MOMS Club of Salt Lake. They have given us so much! Plus, Brian K. came to the meeting today and helped watch all the kids (my usual job) so I could attend and learn some bellydancing! Too cool!

I also need to thank my incredible friends from the June '96 Moms group. These amazing ladies from all over the world gave us an Amazon.com gift certificate that will go a very long way in rebuilding our school. Thank you so much!

On the computer front, I have been offered a nifty laptop, but I think I'm going to have to pass and let someone else benefit from that gift. I have all the specs I need to rebuild my desktop (stronger, faster... and for significantly less than 6 million dollars.) What I really need most is that internet connection because my greatest need is to be able to use email for work. The rest is not at all important right now. I promise I don't just want to go play World of Warcraft. ;)

Thank you also to Lyman & Jen for letting me bother them repeatedly to use their computer. I think I'll bother them one final time to help me build that system and set up a wireless network, and then hopefully they'll be able to get to bed earlier.

Updated list of things we need:
There's not much to list here any more! Is that wonderful and amazing? We have been given so much that it is overwhelming. I'm sure there will be things to replace as we get into a new place and then later when we get the house rebuilt, but for now we all feel very well-taken-care-of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lillian and Family,

Hi! It's your old neighbor Angie (Brown) Mekkelson. I am so proud of you guys. I read your blog everyday to make sure you guys are well taken care of!!! This experience will only refine your character. Hang in there!!

Angie M.